Tuesday 5 February 2013

Review - Stolen: A Letter To My Captor by Lucy Christoper

Title: Stolen: A Letter To My Captor
Author: Lucy Christopher
Publisher: Chicken House Ltd
Publication Date: 04/05/2009
Book Description: It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story. A letter from nowhere. 

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 
The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost. 

Review: Stolen for me was a fantabulous read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and often tend to re-read it. Stockholm Syndrome for me is just fascinating. It's a genre I often like to look for to read and for me Stolen really is the best of its kind.
What I liked: The very first line of the book gripped me. "You saw me before I saw you." From that first line I was immediately drawn in. No other intro to a novel has ever engrossed me this much.
The male protagonist, Ty was HOT. This really conflicted me as naturally you expect to dislike him given the situation but.. his character was really intense. You really begin to feel with him and as a reader it is almost like you yourself are starting to feel the symptoms of Stockholm Syndrome. (I can honestly say I have never felt like this reading a book).
I also loved the format which the book was written in. The book is written like a letter or a journal entry and towards the end of the book you realise why. I thought this was unique and have always enjoyed reading this type format (similar to Perks Of Being A Wallflower). Lucy Christopher takes the relationship of a kidnapper and the kidnapped to a whole new level, Stolen was exciting, full of drama, action-packed and intense (oh yes).
What I didn't like: The ending, although still brilliant.. I felt it could have been more epic. I felt that the romance between Gemma and Ty was not fully developed. As a reader I wanted to see more! I wanted to witness Gemma becoming more and more interested in Ty. I felt that the pacing was not right and for Gemma to feel as conflicted as she did towards the end.. there needs to be a bigger build up to that. Although this point could also be turned around on itself as I liked the fact Gemma didn't run to sleep with Ty as soon as she started to feel something. It made the relationship more real and powerful.

I really would recommend this book to anyone. Words can't express how much I loved it. This is one of the books which stays with you years after reading.


5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment